Posted: July 19, 2018
A colleague once told me that “ministry is about scattering seeds”... Now I understand what she meant. As I reflect on the work we have done over the last five years, we have scattered lots of seeds in Social Justice. St. Patrick’s Social Justice Commission has been at the center of the action! They have dreamed big and rolled up their sleeves to make things happen! We are grateful for their leadership, grit, passion, and service!
- St. Patrick’s helped secure the passage of the B Corp, Social Benefit Legislation. This business structure encourages entrepreneurs to build great businesses that “Do Good!”
- We have been a part of a community -wide effort to make 66 West a reality! We are grateful to everyone who tirelessly advocated and donated to the project! Now 39 young adults who were previously homeless have a home! They can work, go to school and build productive lives! “Building a home builds a life.”
- Youth and adults from St. Patrick’s Church have delivered almost 1,500 water filters to Cobán, Guatemala with the Benedictine Monastery. Now families have access to clean drinking water.
- We have gotten our, “sparkle on” for charity at our Annual Gala for Brighter Tomorrows...Continuing a 33 year legacy! Proceeds support St. Patrick’s Church and the Cobán Water Project!
- We have convened spacious conversations at our Annual Fall Forums on diverse topics ranging from Catholic Charities, Catholic education, Medicare, Affordable Housing, Voting Rights, NAZ, Visitation Monastery & Friends from North Minneapolis, and Mental Health.
- Lunch & Learns have introduced us to authors, photographers, Solar Gardens, Minnesota Olympians, Gourmet Cooks, Dreamers, Health & Wellness, Senior Services, Gratitude, the Mayor of Edina and more!
- We held a nationally certified Mental Health First Aid course sponsored by Fairview Hospital Foundation & Fairview Hospital Community Health Services.
- We have collected tons of food... literally, for VEAP! We have repurposed food, supported a CSA, served thousands of meals at Loaves & Fishes and delivered hot meals to elders! We have blessed babies!
- We have gathered in friendship and prayer at Emmaus and our Annual Labyrinth event.
This is only a glimpse of what is possible when great people come together. Thanks to our parish, volunteers, donors, leadership, staff, ABC Express Preschool, Calvary Church, collaborating community partners and businesses.
In Gratitude, Maura Schnorbach